Can I apply for a CJS job?
Community Jobs Scotland (CJS) jobs are open to young unemployed people (aged 16 to 29 years) living in Scotland who are more disadvantaged in accessing the labour market.
Young people who can benefit from CJS jobs include:
- care leavers/care experienced
- young people with convictions
- military service leavers (serving less than 6 years)
- disabled people or with long term health conditions
- homeless people (including temporary or unstable accommodation)
- person affected by drug misuse (i.e. alcohol, drugs)
- person with lower than SCQF level 5 qualification
- work programme completers who remain unemployed
- refugees with immigration status allowing them to undertake employment
- ethnic minority groups
Your eligibility is determined by your Jobcentre Plus or Skills Development Scotland adviser. Contact your local office who will check your eligibility and assist with your application for the vacancies.
How do I apply for a job?
You can search our list of current job vacancies. When you see something that interests you, take
You can’t apply directly for CJS jobs. There must be an Eligibility Referral form completed by your Jobcentre Plus or Skills Development Scotland adviser before the employer will accept your application.
Remember that this is a job and in receiving a wage, it will affect your entitlement to “out of work” benefits such as Universal Credit (UC), Jobseekers Allowance (JSA) or Employment Support Allowance (ESA).
Depending on your personal circumstances, you may still be able to claim “in-work” benefits such as Working Tax Credit.
It is your responsibility to ensure you have informed the necessary authorities of your change in circumstances and do not claim benefits you are not entitled to. Your Jobcentre Plus or Skills Development Scotland adviser should be able to help you with this. You can also check your entitlement by using the Benefits Adviser tool.
What support will I get?
CJS jobs are designed to provide you with the skills and experience that will make your CV stand out. As a CJS employee you will receive a package of support, including:
- an induction
- on-the job training
- support and supervision
- jobsearch support
- access to £200 towards training