Islay Development Initiative
Charity registered in Scotland SC030558
- Good HQ
Aims & objectivesTo promote, advance, manage and effect for the benefit of the public as a whole the provision, development and improvement of facilities for waste minimisation and other environmental improvements on Islay & Jura; To pioneer new techniques in waste minimisation with special emphasis on the area of operation; To encourage and foster employment in waste minimisation and environmental improvement activities especially employment of adults with learning difficulties; To advise and educate the public on waste minimisation; To act as an agent to convert trash into cash for charities, community groups and other good causes and to encourage further uptake of this service; The organisation shall have the power to do all things necessary for the fulfilment of its objects.
- Job number
- Bridgend, Isle of Islay
- Time of attendance
- Flexible Mon to Fri
- No of references
- Hours (per week)
- Not supplied
- Salary (£/hr)
- £9 per hour
JOB TITLE: Trainee Bee Keeper – Islay Pollinator Initiative
CONTRACT DURATION 1 Year
LOCATION: Whin Park SECTION: Management Salary 16380 pro rata
RESPONSIBLE TO: Project Co-ordinator/CEO/Board
RESPONSIBLE FOR: Bees and Habitat for Islay Pollinator Initiative.
PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS: n/a
HOURS OF WORK Up to 30 hours per week.
CAR USE n/a
At the core of the Company’s project team, the Trainee Bee Keeper is pivotal in the future of the Islay Pollinator Initiative. This project is focused on developing habitat for pollinators and training and development of young people. Your role will be to help us develop our apiary, while undertaking study towards Scottish Bee Keepers qualifications. You will work closely with the project co-ordinator and CEO to create habitat, carry out surveys and look after our apiary. You will also be expected to assist in the design and manufacture of bee related product for income generation, retail in our shops and make promotional videos of the project.
This is a junior level post and would suit someone starting off on their route to skills development. You will set out to achieve the objectives of the project and ensure compliance with our statutory duties, Health and Safety, funding bodies and stakeholders. The role will be based at Whin Park office but demands a high degree of flexibility with travel off the island expected.
1. Assist in the development of a Beekeeping and Apiary framework.
2. Train and develop skills required to look after our bees and apiaries.
3. Attain Scottish BeeKeepers Qualifications.
4. Help with the project website and social media platforms.
5. Habitat creation and survey work.
6. Data gathering.
7. Building of hives and associated equipment as required.
8. Presentations to meetings and conferences.
9. To carry out duties assigned in a manner which portrays IDI in a professional light.
10. Make reports to the Board of Directors.
11. To keep accurate records and reports as required by the Company.
12. When working with clients, volunteers, staff and stakeholders to treat them professionally at all times ensuring IDI is not brought into disrepute in any way.
13. To promote a positive approach to service delivery.
14. To have a flexible approach and to be part of new growing initiatives.
15. To follow all Health and Safety policies and procedures at all times.
16. Any other duties and tasks as instructed by the Chairman/Board/CEO. This list is by no means exhaustive and the Company retain the right to alter these activities as and when required.
Must not be allergic to bee stings and be willing to work outdoors.