Premises licensing

If you want to carry out licensable activities from a particular venue, you will need to contact your local authority to apply for a premises licence. Licensable activities include:

  • Selling alcohol
  • Serving alcohol (even if it’s free or included in the price of a ticket or entry to an event)
  • Serving hot food and drinks between 11pm and 5am
  • Providing entertainment (theatre, film, outdoor sporting, live music, dance performance, nightclub)

You still need a licence even if the activities are for charity – but you may not have to pay for it.

The Scottish Government website has more information for individual local authorities.

Page last modified on 21st May 2018